Did you remember the Marathi Song.. "Malvan Panya madhi killa pahuni mana madhe bharala..." Means I feel good by seeing a fort in water. Yes Sindhudurga fort is in the sea water of Malvan. It is on island of rock. Sindhudurga fort was constructed by Shree Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in 1656. Its great achievement that whole fort is in the blue water.
Main attractions of the fort are
- There are three sweet water reservoirs in the fort ramparts. Even if the water in the nearby villages dries up in summer, these wells always contain water.
- There is a coconut tree which has branches and also gives fruit. No other coconut tree has a branchin the whole world.
- There is a hidden passage (that starts in a temple that looks like a water reservoir) that goes under the island for 3.5 km, under the sea for 12 km, and from there 12 km to a nearby village Masura . The tunnel was used as an escape route for the women if the enemy entered the fort. However, the British partially closed this passage after the fort was abandoned.
- The entrance gate is almost invisible, and only regular visitors are likely to find it.
- A handprint and a footprint of Shivaji Maharaj is also embedded in one section of the fort. There is also Atmeshwar Mandir, a famous Shivling, and is beautiful place foradhyatmik sadhana (spiritual activities).
- It also houses a temple of Shivaji Maharaj, the only one in the world; the temple was built by Shivaji's son Rajaram. Festivities such as Shivaji Jayanti (birthday of Shivaji), Ram Navami, Janmashtami, Mahashivrathri, Ganesh Chaturthi, are celebrated.
- Daily puja (worship)and maintenance is done by mainly two families that were assigned this job since the fort was built; one of them is Mr.Shriram Sakpal.
As compared to Janjira fort, Sidhudurga fort area is less crowded. Also, special malvani food quality is far excellent. Its worth to visit this place. Some of the nearby attractions are
1. Tarkarli beach
2. Chivala beach
4.Island at Devbaug
5. Scuba Diving
7. Dolphin point
8. Sangamat Devbaug
9. Water sports like banana ride, bumper ride, Speed boat etc. at Island on Devbag
10. Rock Garden
Please check Itinerary of Malvan -Tarkarli trip
Please write Comments to get more details about places around pune to visit and Share this information with your loved ones. Comments are integrated with Commentluv. If you " Like " the post then click on " Facebook Like" button on website at right handside to get detailed free posting Daily. Also you can Subscribe to google+, Free e-mail Subscription...